Tuesday, January 15, 2013

Oshkosh Beer Sampler 006: Oshkosh Homebrewer Jody Cleveland Takes on Samuel Smith’s Organic Chocolate Stout


A slanted and endless survey of what’s pouring in Oshkosh... tallied one beer at a time.

Our guest blogger today is Oshkosher Jody Cleveland, one of the best homebrewers I know. Jody’s the guy who turned me onto this fantastic beer, so he’s going to take the reins and tell us what it’s all about. Take it away, Jody!

What: Samuel Smith’s Organic Chocolate Stout

Where: Festival Foods in Oshkosh. $10.49 for a 4-pack

Why: Chocolate. You notice it the instant the cap is off. This beer smells like a candy bar, and you know you’re in for something special. Poured into the glass, it’s nice and dark, with a creamy head that dissipates quickly. I served this beer from the refrigerator. Initially, I tasted chocolate, but the beer itself seemed a bit thin. This is a beer that is definitely better served at warmer temperatures (I have since moved the bottles I have from the fridge to the cellar). At about 55 degrees, the beer just shines. Minus a few exceptions, I’m not a huge fan of stouts. Most I’ve tried are extremely roasty, and have strong notes of coffee. Not for me. The beauty of what Samuel Smith’s has done here is take an excellent stout, and marry it with some chocolate, to the point that everything just blends together. And, that’s the greatest thing about it. Everything is balanced perfectly. I’ve never bought the argument, “I don’t like dark beers” (dark is a color, not a flavor). But for people who don’t tend to like darker beers, this may well win them over. If you’re in the mood for a refreshing beer after a long day, this may not be the best choice. But if you are looking for dessert in a glass, look no further than Samuel Smith’s Organic Chocolate Stout.

No comments:

Post a Comment