Tuesday, May 6, 2014

The Maibock at Fratellos in Oshkosh

The current board at Fratellos, Oshkosh
Last weekend I ran into several people saying good things about the maibock that’s pouring at Fratellos here in Oshkosh. No way I was going to miss that. I drained a growler of it on Sunday. It’s fantastic.

The beer pours out medium gold with a creamy, white cap of suds. The aroma is clean and malty with undertones of fresh bread and hay. This is a full-bodied lager with a rich malt flavor. A friend told me he loved the “unusual toastiness” of the beer. I’m with him on that. There’s plenty of Munich malt in the grain bill giving the beer a toasted-bread character. What won me over, though, was the firm, peppery bitterness of its finish. I like a maibock that doesn’t hide its hops, and this one makes good use of its spicy, German hops. They lend the beer a brisk, refreshing finish that makes you immediately want more. At just over 6% ABV this is a beautiful, warming beer; perfect for this cool spring we’re having.

No comments:

Post a Comment