Sunday, May 9, 2021

Chilton's Last Call

Here's a growler I picked up last weekend from Rowland's Calumet Brewing in Chilton. It was filled with Last Call Pale Ale.


Last Call was made with malt from the last batch of malt made at the Briess malthouse on South Irish Road in Chilton.

The Briess facility in Chilton.

Briess' Chilton malthouse went into operation in 1902 as the Chilton Malting Company.


The Briess family became involved with the business in the 1950s and then bought the facility in 1978.

1978

The Briess malthouse in Chilton has been the source of brewing malt for many small breweries and homebrewers in Wisconsin. Earlier this year, Briess ended its malting operations in Chilton and moved that output to the old Rahr Malting facility in Manitowoc. 

I've been brewing with Briess malt for years. I always liked the idea that the I was making beer from barley that had been malted just across the lake. Right now, I have about 70 pounds of malt in my basement that came from the Chilton plant. I'll be thinking about that retired malthouse with every beer I make this summer.

No comments:

Post a Comment